Arris SB8200 and Netgear CM1000 are two such devices that have incorporated the new DOCSIS 3.1 Technology.These devices get along with Zoom Motorola MB8600 to adopt this new technology.
Both the devices work pretty well in the market and offer you 32 down-load channels along with 8 upload channels. If you decide to choose any of the products you will undoubtedly get the fastest speed internet network.
This article will share a comparison guide between Arris SB8200 and Netgear CM1000, which will help you understand the other prominent stuff about both the products.
But before we dive into that, let’s know what DOCSIS 3.1 Technology is?
Arris SB8200 VS Netgear CM1000 – Detailed Comparison
Lets discuss all the terms in detail.
- A Trusted Name in Home Connectivity: Better connectivity, better speed. The ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem is designed to bring you superior connectivity, increase your network capability and provide faster streaming and downloading throughout your home. From a trusted brand with over 260 million modems sold and growing. .Telephone Port : None. HD Multi-Media Streaming : Yes.
- Save Money: Own your modem and save. Reduce your cable bill up to $168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings vary by cable service provider). Certified for use with most U.S. cable internet service providers. For a complete list see additional details below.
- Modem Technology: DOCSIS 3.1 is the newest technology available from cable internet providers. Its 10x faster than DOCSIS 3.0, provides better security, reduces lag while gaming & enables multi-gig networking (ability to run fast speeds on your copper cable from your internet provider).
- System requirements 1. High-speed Internet access account 2.Web browser access – Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari 3. Compatible operating systems: 4. Windows 10 5. Windows 8 6. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Note: Although older versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems are no longer specifically supported, they should still function with your SB8200. a.Macintosh 10.4 or higher b. UNIX c. Linux
- Simple and Secure Set-up: Plug-in the device, download the SURFboard Central App, and follow the instructions to activate the modem. Connect to a Wi-Fi router for networking.
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 1Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps), Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM1000 replaces your cable modem saving you up to dollar 168/year in equipment rental fees.
- Works with any Wi-Fi router: Connect any Wi-Fi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate Wi-Fi router.
Design and Build
Arris has a similar design, just like the previous three generations. It has a white color plastic case that has a matte finish. In terms of design, the SB8200 is nothing new and astonishing.
Similar rounded edges that are creating a wrap around the rectangular Centerpiece. When looking at the structure of Arris SB8200, you cannot point out anything different from the previous models. On the other hand, Netgear CM1000 also has a pretty similar design from its processes, but it also comes with a few improvements that makes it different from the Arris SB8200.
Netgear CM1000 has a polyhedron-shaped case that is matte black giving a chic look to the entire modem. The edges of the modem are rounded.
Arris SB8200 has soft lighting because of which Netgear CM1000 takes the lead because of its elegant look.
The comparison of both devices in this category ultimately depends on the taste of the user. Both of the devices have a pretty design although the Arris SB8200 might have few drawbacks.
In a modem, overheating is quite common, which is addressed by this model of Netgear. It has provided triangular cuts that offer good heat dissipation as the airflow remains balanced, and the modem remains cool all the time.
Arris has also taken a few measures to address the overheating issue and has provided a proper ventilation system with cutouts in SB8200. We do not see any significant difference in terms of the design in both the devices; however, they majorly differ in size.
The SB8200 is compact, and it measures 5.24 x 5.24 x 1.65 inches. The weight of this modem is 2.1 lbs.
On the other hand, the CM1000 is taller in size with an 8.8 X 5.4 X 5.9 inches measurement. Even though being taller in size, this modem is lighter than the SB8200.
The design comparison of both the products has done pretty well. Both Arris SB8200 and Netgear CM1000 have outstanding heat management and are provided with all the essential buttons, indicators, and ports. However, Arris SB8200 is supplied with a second Ethernet port that enhances the speed of the internet.
So, with SB8200, you have an added advantage because of the additional Ethernet port.
You can check it also : NetGear Vs Asus Router
Performance & Compatibility Level
Both Arris SB8200 and Netgear CM1000 have an excellent compatibility level, and they support Comcast and Cox.
Not many cable modems are compatible with Comcast cocks and charter; therefore, you get a massive advantage with both the modems.
Both SB8200 and CM1000 have long durability, and they can stick to more than a year and a half without causing any connection problem. After a few years, you might see the slower updates but other than that, both the cable modem is pretty amazing.
Since both the devices have DOCSIS 3.1 Technology, you should have a gigabit + data plan, which might not be affordable right now, but the companies are planning to make it so in the upcoming years.
You get an average speed of 960 Mbps for both devices, which is good enough compared to the other instruments.
Both Arris SB8200 and Netgear CM1000 are up to the mark in the category of performance and compatibility, and you will get great speed on both modems. It would be best if you kept in mind that neither of the two devices has Wi-Fi capabilities built-in. If you wish to connect Wi-Fi devices, you will have to use an additional wireless modem.
With the company’s trying to improve the technology and performance of both devices, it is believed that you may get to experience 2Gbps in both modems in the future
You would require an additional coaxial cable to install the hardware of both Arris SB8200 and Netgear CM1000, and also you can attach the modem by uniting the power adapter.
For the activation and configuration of both the devices, you would require an ethernet cable to connect your modem and computer.
The one advantage you get with Comcast Xfinity is that the configuration and activation are automatically done for both devices.
After you are done with the configuration and connection, you can have proper access to both Arris and Netgear on an app to modify settings. To access both devices’ web pages, you can go to the URL that the company must provide.
On the web-based utility page for Arris, you can have proper start-up procedures for downstream and upstream channels. You can also get the product information addresses configuration process and other help. On the other hand, in Netgear, you come across a proper interface divided into two categories: basic in which you find a home and cable connection, and advanced option that helps you with another sort of administration.
With the help of these web pages, you can also have quick access to possible modem problems. The set-up process of both Arris SB8200 and Netgear CM1000 is easy and fast.
With the availability of the web-based application, it has become much more convenient for the users to change the settings, figure out the modem issues, and other things.
Arris SB8200 is integrated with a Broadcom BCM3390 chipset that has a flash memory of 128 MB / 16 MB. In SB8200, you also get 3GB of RAM.
The best thing is that Netgear is also equipped with a similar Broadcom chipset and flash memory. The only difference that you find is in the RAM, which is 256 MB in CM1000.
There is a significant improvement in the hardware of both the companies because both the brands have stepped out of their comfort zone and have used a Broadcom-based chipset.
Both the modems equipped their models with Intel Puma chipset because they have limited latency issues in their old models.
The incorporation of Broadcom-based chipset and DOCSIS 3.1 Technology lets you anticipate that you will get great internet and down-loading speed. However, it is written in the specifications that both the devices provide you with 5GBPS, which is not valid with SB8200. On Arris SB8200, you get 2GBPS in total.
Netgear also shows the specification that the users will get 5 GBPS; however, the device can only work up to 1 GBPS, and the reason is the limitation of the ports.
In the comparison of the hardware, Arris SB8200 takes the lead in terms of the speed output.
Other than that, both the devices are similar, and the integration of the Broadcom chip makes them strong against latency problems.
DOCSIS 3.1 Technology
As an alternative to the Fiber Technology, DOCSIS 3.1 was developed, which gives users 10gbps for downstream and 1gbps for upstream. With the arrival of this technology, users got highly excited and believed that it would provide them with good speed internet.
Both of these cable modems can provide a smooth Gigabit performance to the users. So, let’s have a brief comparison of Arris SB8200 Vs. Netgear CM1000.
Brief Pros and Cons of Arris SB8200 and Netgear CM1000
- Offers excellent speed.
- Easy activation and outstanding customer service.
- An outstanding modem for 1 gigabit Comcast.
- Integrated with Broadcom Chipset.
- Even after good airflow, the modem gets quite hot.
- The design of this modem is unique.
- Integrated with Broadcom Chipset.
- You don’t face any connectivity issues.
- The speed of this modem is not very significant.
Since both the devices have DOCSIS 3.1 Technology and Broadcom Chipset, both the devices work amazingly. These devices excel better in different categories. But majorly, Arris SB8200 excels in most of the areas. With two Ethernet ports and a spectrum analyzer, SB8200 gets the upper hand.
We hope that this article would have helped you and made it easier to make your decision. Make sure your requirement gets fulfilled and you don’t face any prominent or even slightest of problems.