A very few monitors come with built-in speakers for direct audio output.
If your monitor does not have speakers, and you are looking to get audio from the monitor. Then you have landed on the right page.
In this blog post, we will show you how to get sound from the monitor without the built-in speakers.
How to Check If your Monitor has Built-in Speaker?
Well, before you jump into getting sound from your monitor without built-in speakers, check whether your monitor has built-in speakers or not.
There are two methods that you can use to check it.
- If your monitor has built-in speakers, then it should have a 3.5mm audio jack built-in. Mostly, the audio-in jack is present at the back or bottom of the monitor. Don’t confuse the audio output jack with the audio input jack. Always check whether it’s an audio input jack or audio output jack.
- Another alternative method that you can use to check whether your monitor has built-in speakers or not is to check the vendor’s website. In this way, you can easily check the availability of built-in speakers on your monitor.
Now since you have double-checked the availability of built-in speakers, move to the next step.
Getting Audio From Monitor Without Speakers
Using HDMI & 3.5mm AUX Cable
If your monitor has an HDMI port, and a built-in 3.5mm audio jack, the simplest, and most straightforward way of connecting an audio device is by connecting an AUX cable to your monitor output audio jack, as the HDMI cable supports both audio & video connections.
To get sound from your monitor using HDMI and a 3.5mm jack, you will need to have an HDMI port and a 3.5mm port on your monitor.
Here are the things required:
- HDMI Cable
- AUX Cable
- External Speakers
Steps for Connecting Sound to Monitor Using 3.5mm Jack
- Firstly, connect one end of the HDMI cable to your PC, gaming console, or Blu-ray player, and the other end of the HDMI cable to your monitor.
- Now, connect one end of the AUX cable to the monitor, and the other end of the cable to the external speakers.
Using HDMI Extractor
If you have a monitor without any 3.5mm audio-jack port, you will need to have an HDMI extractor to get sound.
The HDMI extractor will provide you two different jacks for audio, and video. So, you can connect the video directly to the monitor, and audio to the external speakers.
Here is what you need:
- HDMI Splitter
- HDMI Cable or HDMI to VGA Cable
- AUX Cable
- External Speakers
Steps for Connecting Audio to Monitors Using HDMI Splitter
- Firstly, you need to connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI splitter.
- Attach one end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI splitter and the other end of the HDMI cable to the monitor.
- Now, attach one end of the AUX cable to the HDMI splitter, and the other end of the HDMI cable to the external speakers.
- You should be able to hear sound from the speakers now.
Also read: How to Connect PS4 to Pc Monitor with HDMI
If you do not like to mess around with cables, (like the traditional old-school way), and your gaming console, PC, or Blu-ray player supports Bluetooth connectivity, and you also have Bluetooth-enabled speakers.
Then you can easily get sound from your speakers wirelessly. It’s perhaps the easiest way of getting sound on your monitor without built-in speakers on our list.
You will need to have:
- Bluetooth Enabled Audio Output Device
- Speakers with Bluetooth Functionality
- Firstly, turn on the speakers, and enable Bluetooth connectivity.
- Now, tune to the main menu on your PC or gaming console, and select the Bluetooth connectivity.
- Select your speakers from the list of available devices.
- Connect your monitor using an HDMI cable.
- Boom, now you would be able to hear audio from the wireless speakers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can We Get Sound From Monitor Without Built-in Speakers?
Yes, you can get sound from a monitor without built-in speakers. In this post, we have mentioned different methods that you can use to get sound through speakers both wired, and wirelessly.
How to Get Sound of PS4 Attached on Monitor?
Well, you can get your PS4 sound on your monitor if it has built-in speakers. If your monitor does not have built-in speakers, then you can follow any of the above-given methods to connect your PS4 audio to external speakers.
How to get Sound on Monitor with Audio Output?
If your monitor supports HDMI plus audio output, then you simply have to connect the HDMI cable to the monitor, and then attach the external speakers to your monitor.
In this way, you can easily get sound on your monitor.
How to Get Sound on Monitor Without Audio Jack?
If your monitor does not have an audio output jack, then you have to use a splitter to connect your audio output device directly to the speaker.
We know that not all the monitors come with built-in speakers, therefore, we have put together different methods that you can use to get sound on a monitor that does not come with speakers.
As one method could not fit the needs of the masses, therefore, we have compiled a list containing different methods.
So, you can choose the method that works best for your needs.