Maybe you are not satisfied with the FPS count on your PUBG or you want better performance in DOTA 2, overclocking your monitor refresh rate can dramatically change things.
Just like the processor overclocking, you can unleash the inner beast of your monitor by overriding the default refresh rate.
Thus, the gaming performance becomes much smoother.
In this blog post, we will show you step-by-step, how you can easily overclock the monitor refresh rate on your AMD processor.
That being said, let’s do turbo boost the performance of your monitor.
What is the Refresh Rate?
In computing the term refresh rate, FPS means the number of images that show up in one second.
In order to make it further simplified, let’s take an idea, the video that you watch on your laptop screen is essentially a well-sorted collection of images, played in a sequence, so that your eyes can’t distinguish it, because human eyes can distinguish between images and videos on a specific speed only.
Refresh rate means the number of images that show up in one second, or how many times that screen gets refreshed per second.
It may not be a worthwhile thing for the non-gamers, but competitive gamers take the refresh rate very very seriously, as a few frame-drops can get them kicked out of a tournament.
What is Overclocking?
Overclocking means overriding the default limits on your computer appliances to take full advantage of the hardware.
For example, if a monitor is capable of producing 110Hz, companies often limit the refresh rate to 80-90Hz in order to avoid putting pressure on the monitor, and also it makes the monitor save your extra bucks in electricity bills.
Steps for Overclocking Monitor on AMD Processor
Now, coming to the topic, how you can overclock a monitor on an AMD processor.
Well, the process of overclocking an AMD, and Nvidia processor is slightly different. Thus, we have put together this specific guide that you can follow to override default refresh rate settings.
Overclocking Monitor with AMD Relive
- Firstly, open your desktop, and right-click on an empty space.
- Open the AMD Radeon Settings, and then select the display tab.
- Now, open the display resolution, and now you would be able to see the custom resolution settings.
- After opening the custom resolution settings, now you would be able to see the refresh-rate settings.
- Check out the default refresh rate of your monitor, and gradually increase it.
- Also, you should check out the maximum refresh rate of your monitor on the vendor’s website to be on the safer side.
Steps for Overclocking Monitor with CRU
If the default application AMD Relive is not working out for you, there is good news for you.
You can use the Custom Resolution Utility or CRU to bypass the default refresh rate on your monitor and enhance the FPS.
- First of all, download the CRU application on your computer, and install it.
- Open the CRU application, and look around for Detailed Resolution.
- Now, you will see a menu showing the default refresh rate of your monitor.
- Edit the refresh rate according to your preference, and click on the Apply button.
- If the refresh rate of your monitor complies with the entered refresh rate, then you will see the normal display. Otherwise, you will see a blank screen, which will revert back in 15S.
Additional Tips for Overclocking Your Monitor
- You need to check out the manufacturer’s guidelines about the refresh rate of your monitor, and then change the refresh rate according.
- Do not use any unknown third-party software for tweaking the refresh rate on your monitor, as you can brick your monitor.
- If you enter an unexpected refresh rate, and it is showing a blank screen, then you have to boot the system in safe mode in order to reset the refresh rate settings.
- Last not least, you have to check whether your monitor is not getting too hot, or otherwise it would be a potential hazard for you.
As you can check How to Connect PS4 to Pc Monitor with HDMI
Overclocking the monitor refresh rate comes with a lot of perks, as is the case with processor overclocking.
You can enjoy your games smoother in higher FPS.
In this blog post, we showed you, how you can easily overclock your monitor on an AMD processor in simple steps.
Tell us what you think about this overclocking guide in the comments section below.