HDMI is the most widely used medium to connect two monitors together. Not, only monitors but also external devices like speakers, soundbars, and projectors can be joined together using these HDMI cables. But, the main issue that sometimes creates panic is that if only we have a single HDMI port then how, we can connect two or more monitors together.
Although most machines today have only HDMI ports available in them, the need to connect two monitors together using an HDMI erupts in some special cases.
How to Run Dual Monitors with one HDMI Port?
This article talks about this concept, and how you can connect and run dual monitors with one HDMI port.
1. Make sure you know the difference between an HDMI adapter and an HDMI splitter. An HDMI splitter is that which is used for making connections between different external devices while an HDMI adapter is that which provides multiple ports on a single device to get different devices connected through it. People often get confused between the utility of an HDMI adapter and an HDMI splitter.
2. The conditions that need to be checked before you set up to make the connections are:
- The system to which an external or a second monitor is to be attached needs to have the function of supporting multiple displays. The connection will not be initiated until your system has this feature of multiple connections.
- Also, make sure that your system supports an HDMI port connection. Many systems nowadays support other formats also like VGA, DVI and etc. So, if you buy the HDMI kit to set up the connection and later on you find that your system does not support it then it might be a little disappointing. So, to avoid this problem check your system properly before initiating the connection.
3. An HDMI splitter is used to connect two monitors together to a single HDMI. It is the most widely used utility to perform the connection of two or more monitors to a single HDMI. An HDMI splitter comes with a cable itself. The one end of this HDMI splitter is connected to the output port of the system. After that, we use the other end of the HDMI cable and connect it to the HDMI splitter’s input port.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you run 2 monitors off 1 DisplayPort?
Yes, it is possible to connect 2 monitors via 1 DisplayPort. This can be done by using daisy chaining. This technology enables you to connect multiple monitors to a single computer to get the optimum output display.
What cables do I need for dual monitors?
Out of HDMI, VGA and DVI, one may go on with an HDMI, as this is the best option to use. This is because an HDMI cable is compatible and fits well with most devices. It is also very cost-effective too.
Thus, the working of an HDMI port can be enhanced through the utilization of an HDMI splitter. The connection is very easy to set up and only requires some basic knowledge about the system with which the connection needs to be set up.